Students continue to experience the breadth curriculum in Year 8, based on the Western Australian Curriculum (WAC) and which can be viewed at www.scsa.wa.edu.au.
The weekly program includes:
- Four hours of Maths, English, Science and HaSS (Humanities and Social Sciences) each = 16 hours
- One hour of Health Education (all year)
- Two hours of Physical Education (all year)
- Two hours of Digital Technologies (ICT) (all year)
- Unless students have been selected to join an enrichment course (see below), they will experience studies in Design and Technologies – Home Economics (food and textiles), Design and Technologies – STEM, The Arts – Visual Arts, Performing Arts. These are semester courses (two terms each). These provide a ‘taster’ of each area that students may select as electives in future years depending on their areas of strength and interest.
- Students in Department of Education approved specialist courses such as Digital Technologies, Cheer and Drama or the Gifted and Talented Dance course develop a depth of skills in these area with four hours per week in their respective courses. This also includes the Athletics Academy enrichment course and Applied Science Program. All these courses may include additional time commitments that occur before or after school or on weekends and require the support of their parents to ensure that these requirements are met.
Regular and punctual attendance and participation is key to success at school. Over 90% is the expected standard of attendance for the year.
To support our students beyond the classroom, the Homework Club on Mondays and Tuesdays, held in the Library from 3pm to 4pm is supervised by staff. It is a place where students have access to technology and support if required or just a quiet place to study on their own or with friends.